Placing Students into Course Sections
When your students first complete their Physics LE registration they all appear as a single group in the Physics LE Gradebook. For some instructors this may be the most convenient grouping, however, many instructors will want to group students into course sections within the Gradebook. The process of moving students into course sections is outlined below.
Creating course sections
- In the side navigation menu under "My courses", select your course name—this will cause "Course Roster" to appear. Select "Course Roster" from the side navigation menu.
- Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner and select "Course sections (groups)" from the drop-down menu. This will bring you to the Course sections setup page.
- Click on the "Create Course section (group)" button at the bottom of the page.
- In the "Course section name (group)" field, enter the name to be used for a course section (e.g., 1st hour, 3rd period, Section 1) and then click the "Save changes" button. All other fields on this page can be ignored.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to create a name for each course section.
Adding students to a course section
- Follow steps 1 and 2 above to be brought to the Course sections setup page.
- From the "Course sections (groups)" pane on the left side of the screen, select a course section name you created.
- Click the "Add/remove students" button.
- From the "Potential members" pane on the right side of the screen, select the students who should be placed in this course section then click the "Add" button. Press and hold the CTRL key on your keyboard to allow multiple students to be selected.
- Repeat this procedure to add students to other course sections. Click the "Back to Course sections (groups)" button when finished.
Removing students from a course section
Follow the same procedure outlined above, however, in step 4 select a student in the "Course section (group) members" pane on the left side of the screen then click the "Remove" button.
Creating separate physics courses within Physics LE
If you're teaching multiple physics courses that are at different levels you may want to have separate courses setup within Physics LE. This will allow you to create a unique Course page for each course. Each Course page can have its own set of homework assignments and quizzes that are appropriate for the particular level. Should you wish to have separate courses setup please contact Physics LE support.