Fundamental Science Skills is a unique program that utilizes the computer as an instructional tool to its fullest extent. The program contains interactive learning modules that teach vital skills students need early-on in a physics or physical science course.
Each module presents an interactive self-guided lesson providing virtual one-on-one instruction. Topics include: measurement apparatus used in the lab, graphing skills, interpreting graphs, error analysis, understanding the process by which a scientific model is formulated, developing an intuitive sense for the magnitude of various physical quantities when powers of 10 are involved, and common student misconceptions.
The topics were selected based upon instructor input of basic skills students were in most need of improving and basic areas where students lacked understanding.
Each learning module is comprised of the following components:
1) Introduction Screen: A thorough introduction to the topic is given so that no prior instruction is necessary.
2) Usage Screen: Students are taught the skills required to meet the learning objective along with information on how to use the interactive simulations.
3) Practice Screen: Students practice with graphic-rich interactive simulations that provide immediate feedback on how well the student is performing. Students are presented with many different practice opportunities allowing as much practice as necessary to master the objective.
4) Exam Screen: The on-screen exam tests if the student fully understands and has mastered the learning objective. The exam is automatically scored with the results shown on-screen along with the option to print-out the results for submitting to the instructor. Exams use randomized data so the instructor can be assured the student's work is not plagiarized.
The Common Student Misconception modules have a slightly different structure. Students are guided through a pre-quiz to identify existing misconceptions, then perform a series of investigative experiments, and finally take a post-quiz with feedback provided.
• Triple-Beam Balance
• Graduated Cylinder
• Vernier Caliper
• Meter Stick
• Graphing Data Points
• Linear Graphs
• Graphs & Inclined Tracks Game
• Mean and Standard Deviation
Order of Magnitude (Powers of 10)
• Order of Magnitude: Mass
• Order of Magnitude: Distance
• Order of Magnitude: Speed
Formulating a Scientific Model
• Ring Challenge Game
Common Student Misconceptions
• Motion from Different Viewpoints
• What is Your Weight in Space?
• Weight in a Moving Elevator
• Are Heavier Sleds Faster?
• Are Shorter Paths Faster?
(Crossing a Flowing River)
• Motion of a Thrown Object
• Heavier Objects in Collisions
• How Quickly Do Things Fall?
Single-User License: $69.00
Lab-10 License: $159.00
Lab-30 License: $229.00
Unlimited Site License: $289.00
(One-time fee, no expiration)
Single User: $229.00
Lab-10 License: $459.00
Lab-30 License: $679.00
Unlimited Site License: $890.00
Unlimited Site License allows an unlimited number of computers to run the software at one site, student take-home privileges are granted with this license only. Distance Learning License is priced the same as the Unlimited Site License.
Purchase online using a credit card. Fundamental Science Skills is delivered via download. Windows and Mac versions are both provided with purchase. (See our Ordering page for other methods of purchase.)
Preview the full version of Fundamental Science Skills for 15 days—completely free with no obligation to purchase. Fill out and submit the Preview Request below to receive the download link and 15 day access code via email.
(Available for Instructors Only.)