Similar to Electrostatics 3D, Magnetism 3D is an interactive software program that allows students to study magnetic fields using a variety of stunning visualization methods. Magnetism 3D utilizes colorful two-dimensional and three-dimensional graphics to display magnetic field lines for current-carrying straight wires, current-carrying wire loops, solenoids, and permanent magnets.
The three-dimensional graphics can be rotated in space about multiple axes for a true 3D perspective. The user is provided with a wide variety of simple to use tools that permit any desired configuration comprised of any number of objects to be created on-screen. Simply click the desired object from the toolbar, input the chosen parameters, and position the object on-screen.
- View 2D & 3D magnetic field lines.
- Choose from a variety of magnetic field generating objects that may be used in any combination including: current-carrying straight wires, current-carrying wire loops, solenoids (with or without an iron core), and permanent magnets.
- All objects can be customized by inputting values such as current, length, radius, loops per centimeter . . .
- View options include: 3D space, 3D topographic mapping, 2D surface, 2D color-coded mapping & linear integral convolution, and 2D iron filings.
- Option to display on-screen magnetic field vectors indicating individual contributions from various objects and net magnetic field for any location.
- Numeric display indicates strength of magnetic field at any location.
- Option to display the path of a charged particle as it moves under the influence of the magnetic field.
- Capability to explore Ampere’s law.
- Option to use right-handed or left-handed coordinate system in 3D environment.
- Designed for both high school and college physics courses.